On Thursday, Indian army chief Bipin Rawat arrived in Sikkim to review the security situation along the border on a “routine” visit. India and China have deployed some 3,000 soldiers each from the Sikkim-Bhutan-Tibet tri-crossing, The Times of India said Friday. The Indian army, however, refused to comment on the matter.
Authorities said the latest clash between the Indian army and the People’s Liberation Army of China in the Doka general region seemed grave. “The two sides are still not willing to change their positions. Flag meetings and other talks between rival commanders have not worked until now,” one reporter said.
On Thursday, Indian army chief Bipin Rawat arrived in Sikkim to review the security situation amid a conflict between the troops of the two countries along the region’s border. The one-day excursion was “routine” and planned ahead of recent tensions, a spokesman for the Indian army told Reuters.
General Rawat focuses on the deployment of Division 17, responsible for the East Sikkim defense, which has four brigades under his command. “All senior officers, including Corps 33 and Division 17 commanders were present in the in-depth discussions. The chief will return to New Delhi on Friday morning,” the official said.
The PLA personnel had violated the real control line in the Sikkim sector and destroyed two makeshift bunkers from the Indian army earlier this month in the region in Lalten Doka Sector.
On Thursday, the People’s Liberation Army in Beijing said it had carried out tests on a new 35-ton tank on the Tibetan plains. However, the army said that “it was not a country”.
India also said it would not allow China to build a walkable path to tri-crossing through the territory of the bhutanien Doklam tray. Bhutan has also asked Beijing to stop working immediately and issued an approach to China in the construction of the road to the military camp in Zomplri on the Doklam tray.
“China is trying to build a” 40 class highways “on the Doklam tray that can support the weight of military vehicles weighing up to 40 tons, light tanks, artillery guns and others,” the official said.
On Thursday, Chinese Defense spokesman Wu Qian Colonel said that India must learn from history and stop “screaming” at war, referring to the 1962 Sino-Indian war that ended with a Chinese victory. Wu also called on New Delhi to withdraw troops from what has been made to pass Chinese territory in the Sikkim sector.
The comments come a day after General Bipin Rawat Indian army said that Indian forces were prepared for threats to internal security and have in China and Pakistan.
On Tuesday, the Chinese army had accused the army of India to stop road construction in what claims to be China’s “sovereign territory” in the Sikkim sector.
Subsequently, the Chinese Foreign Ministry filed a diplomatic complaint with New Delhi and Beijing. China has also used the “transgression” of Indian forces in its claimed territory as a basis for the suspension of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra Monday.